Kids Party Planning Checklist
Easy Party Ideas
Party Planning Ideas
Party Planning Checklist
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Other links on this site may lead to other companies that I'm associated with.
When planning your kid party, it can be really helpful to have a party planning checklist. That way you'll be less likely to forget anything!
This page includes both a shopping checklist and a timeline, so you'll know exactly when to do everything and can stay on track.
Party Planning Checklist - Shopping
You can also use this list as a shopping list. Here are some items
that should be on every party shopping list, no matter what the theme of
your party. InvitationsThank you notesCameraTablecloths Napkins Plates Cutlery Decorations, including streamers, balloons, etc. Food you will be serving, if anyServing pieces (ice cream scoop, cake cutter) Cake and Ice CreamCandles and matches (or lighter) Goody Bags or other party favors Any game supplies
Party Planning Timeline
So, now you have your shopping party planning checklist, but what about when to do everything? I thought it might be helpful to share the timeline that I use when planning parties. And by the way, this timeline works not only for kid parties, but also for parties for any age group!
More than 2 months before the party
2 months before the party
- Select your party theme
- Select your party location, and make reservations if necessary
- Select your party date and time
- Create a guest list
- Set a party budget
- Begin planning party activities. Reserve any entertainment, bounce houses, etc.
- If your party is going to be during a busy "party time of year" (Halloween, Christmas) send a "save the date" to guests.
1 month before the party
2 weeks before the party
- Mail invitations
- Finish making any game and decoration items
- Decide on order of games and activities
1 week before party
- Confirm any venue or vendor reservations
- Assemble party favors
- Gather all party items to a central location (or pack them if you are going to a different location)
2 days ahead
- Reconfirm with any guests who haven't replied
- Reconfirm with your helpers
- Charge the camera batteries
1 day ahead
- Bake and decorate (or pick up) cake
- Blow up any non-helium balloons and stuff in a giant bag so they are ready to use
- Review party manners with your children
Morning of party
- Set tables
- Arrange decorations
- Set up crafts, games, etc.
- Set up a place for gifts. Make sure you have a pen and paper to keep track of gifts for thank you notes
Immediately before party
- Remind birthday child to say thank you
- Put away pets
The next day
- Help write and mail thank you notes
- Pack away any party supplies you can use again
- Make notes on what worked well, and what you'd change for next time
- Share your ideas!
This site is a participant in the Amazon
Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by
advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Zero In on Your Party
How to make a Pinata
All the Top Kids Party Themes
Giant List of Kids Party Games