Kids Party Planning Checklist
When planning your kid party, it can be really helpful to have a party checklist. That way you'll be less likely to forget anything!
You can also use this list as a shopping list. Here are some items that should be on every party shopping list, no matter what the theme of your party. InvitationsThank you notesCameraTablecloths Napkins Plates Cutlery Decorations, including streamers, balloons, etc. Serving pieces (ice cream scoop, cake cutter, etc.) candles and matches (or lighter) Goody Bags or other party favors Any game supplies
Party Planning Timeline
So, now you have your shopping party planning checklist, but what about when to do everything? I thought it might be helpful to share the timeline that I use when planning parties. And by the way, this timeline works not only for kid parties, but also for parties for any age group!
More than 2 months before the party
- Start brainstorming for fun theme ideas.
2 months before the party
- Select your party theme
- Select your party location, and make reservations if necessary
- Select your party date and time
- Create an guest list
- Set a party budget
- Begin planning party activities. Reserve any entertainment, bounce houses, etc.
- If your party is going to be during a busy "party time of year" (Halloween, Christmas) send a "save the date" to guests.
1 month before the party
- Finalize plans for party activities
- Begin to make any items that you will need for the party - decorations, game items, etc.
- Purchase plates, napkins, etc.
- Prepare invitations
- Order cake (or plan what you will make)
- Decide if you will need any helpers for the party, and if so, ask them!
- Shop for party favors
2 weeks before the party
- Mail invitations
- Finish making any game and decoration items
- Decide on order of games and activities
1 week before party
- Confirm any venue or vendor reservations
- Assemble party favors
- Gather all party items to a central location (or pack them if you are going to a different location)
2 days ahead
- Reconfirm with any guests who haven't replied
- Reconfirm with your helpers
- Charge the camera batteries
1 day ahead
- Bake and decorate (or pick up) cake
- Blow up any non-helium balloons and stuff in a giant bag so they are ready to use
- Review party manners with your children
Morning of party
- Set tables
- Arrange decorations
- Set up crafts, games, etc.
- Set up a place for gifts. Make sure you have a pen and paper to keep track of gifts for thank you notes
Immediately before party
- Remind birthday child to say thank you
- Put away pets
The next day
- Help write and mail thank you notes
- Pack away any party supplies you can use again
- Make notes on what worked well, and what you'd change for next time
- Share your ideas!
Share this Page...
Go from Party Planning Checklist to Kids Party Planning
All the Top Kids Party Themes
Giant List of Kids Party Games